Friday, July 17th DFS MLB Plays
Welcome back! Tonight we kick off the 2nd half of the MLB season with some big tournaments on FanDuel and DraftKings tonight.
- Jose Fernandez
- Lance Lynn
- Noah Syndergaard
- Sonny Gray
- James Shields
Jose Fernandez is the top play tonight with Kershaw having his start bumped to tomorrow. Fernandez gets the Phillies tonight who just aren’t very good in any category. Jose has been excellent and hasn’t lost any velocity (some reports show he has gained a touch) since surgery. You will definitely want some Jose Fernandez exposure in your cash games tonight. Lance Lynn and Noah Syndergaard are both great options tonight but they face each other. Lynn is a moderate favorite (largely due to the home matchup and the Mets bullpen). Syndergaard has the big strikeout upside and the Cardinals have been striking out at an alarming rate despite having one of the best records in baseball. Sonny Gray gets a red hot Twins team but he gets them after a week off and at home in Oakland. I’m expecting the Twins to start slow this weekend so I look for Gray to have a nice outing tonight at home and the Oakland bats should provide enough run support to get the win against Santana. James Shields is also in play tonight at home at PETCO. The Rockies aren’t a very big threat outside of Coors Field and this is one of the largest negative park shifts a team can experience.
- Buster Posey/Andrew Susac – The Giants are one of those teams with several players who hit LHP very well. Both Buster Posey and Andrew Susac crush LHP (smaller sample size for Susac) and the Giants get a large positive park shift tonight in Arizona against Robbie Ray.
- John Jaso – Jaso gets a nice positive park shift at Toronto. Jaso is an elite hitter against RHP and he is a great play in all formats if he continues to lead off for the Rays.
- Derek Norris
- Evan Gattis – Gattis and the Astros are at home tonight against a weak LHP. Gattis should have several RBI opportunities tonight with the solid lineup in front of him with Altuve and Correa.
- Salvador Perez – Perez is not playing in the first game of the double header so he will definitely start the 2nd game tonight against LHP John Danks. Perez is an above average hitting against LHP and the Royals get a nice positive park shift at U.S. Cellular in Chicago.
1st Base Rankings
- Adam Lind – Adam Lind gets a decent matchup at home against Charlie Morton who will be dealing with a large negative park shift. Morton hasn’t been nearly as sharp as we thought he would be this season returning from injury. The one thing to caution here is Morton is an extreme ground ball pitcher and Lind is hitting more ground balls than ever this season. Personally Lind is a GPP only play for me at this price, regardless of who is on the mound.
- Paul Goldschmidt – Goldy gets a decent matchup with Matt Cain (I don’t think he is really 100% yet) at home in the hitters park. I like Goldy and ARI stack in tournaments tonight.
- Edwin Encarnacion
- Adam LaRoche – LaRoche was supposed to matchup with Chris Young tonight but the Royals have flipped the rotation so Volquez will start the 2nd game. This is a hit to the value of LaRoche but he is certainly still in play at min price on FanDuel.
- Carlos Santana – Switch hitting Santana gets a solid park to pitch in against Mike Leake. Leak was great in his last start but he is far from an ace.
2nd Base Rankings
- Jose Altuve – Altuve at home against a LHP… Yes, he is the top play. Altuve had a minor set back in the first half of the season with an injury but he has had plenty of time to recover and the week off was great for a guy like Altuve.
- Jason Kipnis – The price is finally coming down a little on Kipnis which is nice to see because he still ranks as a top option at 2B against Mike Leake tonight.
- Joe Panik – Joe Panik represents decent value hitting at the top of the Giants lineup in a positive park shift against Robbie Ray. Panik has hit LHP very well this season and has been a big part of the Giants offense.
- Neil Walker – Switch hitter who we only target from the left hand side of the plate. Walker will hit left handed tonight in a large park shift against the Brewers
- Devon Travis
3rd Base Rankings
Third base is by far the weakest position tonight so we will be sensitive to lineup position/price here.
- Justin Turner
- Alex Rodriguez
- Todd Frazier
- David Freese – Freese has hit LHP very well in his career but he is playing in a poor park for hitting. He is an okay play against Wade Miley at a thin position
- Matt Duffy
- Carlos Correa – Correa is the top play at SS it’s just important to remember the sample size is limited with him. Correa has elite numbers against LHP and a great lineup spot for the Astros
- Alcides Escobar – Escobar is next in line as the Royals play a double header tonight against the White Sox. The price on Escobar never seems to move on FanDuel… great value leading off.
- Brandon Crawford – You’re probably noticing a lot of Giants ranking well tonight… the park shift is a big one!
- Troy Tulowitzki
Outfield Tier 1:
Bryce Harper, Mike Trout, Hanley Ramirez, Alex Rios, Michael Brantley, Justin Upton, Hunter Pence, Lorenzo Cain, Brandon Moss
Outfield Tier 2:
David Peralta, Jose Bautista, Kevin Kiermaier, Joey Butler, Shin-Soo Choo, Colby Rasmus, Angel Pagan, Josh Reddick, Yasmany Tomas
Mike’s Top Seven Team Stacks
Astros – Altuve, Correa, Gattis, Carter, Gonzalez
Giants – Posey, Pence, Duffy, Panik, Crawford, Susac
Diamondbacks – Goldschmidt, Peralta, Pollock, Tomas, Inciarte
Royals – Cain, Escobar, Perez, Rios, Morales
Rays – Jaso, Butler, Kiermaier, DeJesus, Longoria
Athletics – Vogt, Reddick, Zobrist, Burns
Padres – Norris, Kemp, Upton, Solarte
Be sure to use the our optimal lineups when they are posted later this afternoon.