Friday, July 24th DFS MLB Plays
Back to a full slate with a Coors Field series. The write-up will feature several Reds players tonight.
- Max Scherzer
- Corey Kluber
- Chris Archer
- Felix Hernandez
- Andrew Cashner
- Justin Verlander
- Chris Tillman
- Drew Hutchison
- Jake Peavy
Pitching is always more interesting on days that we have a Coors Field game where we can’t just automatically plug in the top play at move on in most cases. Max Scherzer is that top play tonight and he will probably go under owned tonight because of these other matchups and the Coors game… If you believe in Max I highly recommend having some exposure in tournaments tonight. Corey Kluber and Chris Archer are next in line as both guys get home games tonight. Personally I like the upside in Archer more than Kluber tonight in the big negative park shift for the Orioles who can strikeout a ton. Felix Hernandez is an okay tournament play but I see no reason to pick on the Blue Jays in cash games on a 14 game slate. Andrew Cashner makes a lot of sense in cash games because of his price at $7300. We are going to need to save a little cap if we are going to have Coors Field exposure. Cashner gets to pitch in a great park at home against an east coast team without its two best players. Many of you will be shocked to see Justin Verlander on the list but I’m going to give him another try tonight in tournaments. I love the matchup with the Red Sox tonight as the Tigers take on their former teammate Rick Porcello. The game is in Boston so I’m looking for the Tigers to jump on Porcello and score 1-2 runs in the top of the first inning to give Verlander a lead to work with… I’m either going to look really good or really stupid here. Chris Tillman and Jake Peavy are both fine tournament or Sp2 options on multiple pitcher sites… both guys are pitching in good parks tonight.
- Tucker Barnhart – Barnhart actually ranks as the #1 play at the catcher position tonight… Amazing what Coors Field is capable of.
- Victor Martinez – We love Victor Martinez and the Tigers on the road tonight where we are guaranteed to get that 9th inning AB for the team. Switch hitter in a decent park against a former teammate.
- Yan Gomes – Gomes crushes lefties but Quintana is decent. I would much rather have Coors exposure if I’m not taking V-Mart of Lucroy.
- Jonathan Lucroy – Lucroy was rather disappointing tonight but he is definitely a top play again tonight at Chase Field against a LHP.
1st Base Rankings
- Joey Votto – Votto is the top overall play at any position tonight in the best possible park shift at Coors Field. If you have been playing DFS all season you know the model loves Votto because of his elite ability to reach base and hit for power.
- Ben Paulsen – Everyone’s least favorite player is back in the rankings… must be a home game for the Rockies.
- Paul Goldschmidt – Goldy will definitely be under owned tonight thanks for Votto and the Reds at Coors… take advantage
- Prince Fielder If you like low ownership levels on HR hitters then Prince is your man tonight. I’m guessing 3-4% owned in the slam tonight.
- Carlos Santana
2nd Base Rankings
- Robinson Cano – Cano is another guy who is playing really well right now that I expect will have a low ownership level at home in a poor park against Hutchison.
- Howie Kendrick
- Brandon Phillips – Phillips is one of the few Reds who are reasonably priced tonight and he is leading off. Great play in all formats.
- DJ LeMahieu – Mr Coors Field. DJ is in play because of the park and lineup spot… you know the drill.
3rd Base Rankings
- Todd Frazier – Frazier is easily the top play at 3B tonight hitting 3rd in the Reds lieup at Coors. Top target in all formats if you have the cap space.
- Alex Rodriguez – A-Rod will go under owned tonight thanks to the large slate with a Coors game. Nice HR upside and the guaranteed 9th inning AB for the Yanks.
- Chris Johnson – Ranks well but I don’t love him… tournaments only
- Luis Valbuena
- Nolan Arenado – Tournament play that is a great alternative to Todd Frazier.
- Troy Tulowitzki – Obvious top play every night the Rockies are at home. DeSclafani has been solid against RHB but Coors Field is a different animal… could be a rough night for DeSclafani.
- Jhonny Peralta – Peralta is one of my favorite plays tonight as the Cards get a young LHP at home in STL. I know the park is awful but Peralta is an elite hitter against LHP. Great chance to get reduced ownership level.
- Carlos Correa
- Brad Miller
Outfield Tier 1:
Mike Trout, Carlos Gonzalez, Ryan Braun, Matt Holliday, Yasiel Puig, Carlos Gomez, Charlie Blackmon, Jay Bruce, Marlon Byrd
Outfield Tier 2:
Colby Rasmus, Preston Tucker, Ryan Raburn, Ender Inciarte, A.J. Pollock, David Peralta, Brett Gardner, Jacoby Ellsbury
Mike’s Top Seven Team Stacks
Reds – Votto, Frazier, Bruce, Phillips, Pena, Hamilton
Rockies – Blackmon, Gonzalez, Tulowitzki, Paulsen, LeMahieu
Brewers – Braun, Gomez, Lucroy, Segura, Parra
Astros – Altuve, Tucker, Rasmus, Correa, Valbuena
Yankees – Gardner, Ellsbury, Rodriguez, Teixiera
Cardinals – Peralta, Holiday, Grichuk, Heyward, Carpenter
Angels – Pujols, Trout, Calhoun, Giavotella, Joyce
Be sure to use the our optimal lineups when they are posted later this afternoon.