Sunday, August 9th DFS MLB Plays
Back to a really short seven game slate tonight. I’m playing about 70-75% of normal volume tonight due to the short slate/expected overlap in picks.
- Chris Sale
- Johnny Cueto
- Ian Kennedy
- Gio Gonzalez
- Wei-Yin Chen
- Matt Shoemaker
- Ruby De La Rosa
- Jon Niese
- Brett Anderson
Chris Sale and Jonny Cueto are the clear cut top plays at pitcher tonight. Both guys are at home facing offenses that are very high variance. Both the Angels and Tigers have a lot of power upside but they are both middle of the pack offenses. On a short slate you will definitely be targeting these two guys with Cueto having the largest implied win probability of any pitcher throwing tonight. After Sale/Cueto things get a little uncomfortable tonight with guys like Ian Kennedy, Gio Gonzalez and Wei-Yin Chen… all guys who are really pretty average but are pitching in good parks tonight. Matt Shoemaker is a great contrarian play tonight against Sale as most people won’t take a starter against Sale in a negative park shift. After the first 2 guys in cash games, anyone I’ve listed above is viable in a tournament tonight on a very short 7 game slate with 1 clear cut hitting environment to pick on.
- Derek Norris – Norris is the top play against a very average LHP. The park isn’t great but Norris is still the top play due to platoon edge and lineup spot on a short slate.
- Salvador Perez – Perez has struggled at the plate a bit, but he is a solid hitter vs LHP. The Royals should have their way tonight.. maybe Perez will be involved?
- Matt Wieters – Poor park shift but Wieters has as much pop as anyone at catcher tonight and he is a switch hitter.
- Travis d’Arnaud – Love d’Arnaud for tournament upside tonight. Mets are playing some really good baseball right now and Travis is returning at the right time.
- Wellington Castillo – Beef! Castillo has huge upside tonight. Definitely want some exposure here.
1st Base Rankings
- Paul Goldschmidt – Goldy finally rewarded us for our loyalty on Sunday. Unfortunately they won’t be nearly as low owned tonight but we will be back for more in all formats.
- Lucas Duda – Duda is the kind of guy who can win you a gpp with his huge multi hit/multi HR games and this is a spot where a mutli HR game wouldn’t shock me.
- Joey Votto – Votto and the Reds were rather disappointing at Chase Field, so lets use them in a pitchers park and see how that goes…. all jokes aside I like Votto’s ability to reach base against a guy like Ian Kennedy.
- Ryan Howard – Tournament only play for me but I really like the Phillies tonight.
- Ryan Zimmerman – Huge 2 HR day for us yesterday. Poor park on the road tonight but he is one of the hottest hitters in baseball with a very reasonable price tag… I’m fine with Zimmerman in all formats tonight.
- Kendrys Morales – Prefer Morales against RHP but he is a switch hitter and they should get a shot at the Tigers pen tonight too. Big upside.
2nd Base Rankings
- Ben Zobrist – Another switch hitting Royal. Love Zobrist and the Royals bats tonight against the rookie pitcher.
- Enrique Hernandez – Howie went down with an injury so expect to see more Hernandez for a while.
- Chase Utley – Utley had a nice weekend and actually looked like the old Chase Utley… great park for the red hot Philies tonight. Utley should have a few doubles in this one.
- Jedd Gyorko – Love Gyorko in your Padres mini stacks
- Anthony Rendon
3rd Base Rankings
- Jake Lamb – Love those Diamondbacks lefties tonight.
- Maikel Franco – Franco is a great young hitter who hits in a prime RBI spot in a big park shift tonight. Call me crazy, but I’m high on the Philies tonight.
- Daniel Murphy – Another Met cracks the top plays list.
- Nolan Arenado – Big tournament upside. Probably going to see 5-7% ownership levels here tonight which is awesome for a 2 HR upside player.
- Alcides Escobar – SS is really weak tonight. Escobar is the top play leading off for the Royals at basically minimum price.
- Clint Barmes – Nice contrarian play that ranks well if he is in the lineup tonight.
- Freddy Galvis
- Ian Desmond – Desmond has hit lefties well in his career. Definitely a contrarian play here with HR upside. Desmond typically has a poor lineup spot this season.
- Jose Reyes – Another big upside player who will go under owned tonight. Love him in tournaments.
Outfield Tier 1:
Nelson Cruz, Adam Jones, David Peralta, Lorenzo Cain, A.J. Pollock, Ender Inciarte, Bryce Harper, Mike Trout, Odubel Herrera, Jayson Werth, Justin Upton, Matt Kemp
Outfield Tier 2:
Curtis Granderson, Adam Eaton, Melky Cabrera, Domonic Brown, Jeff Francoeur, Drew Stubbs, Carlos Gonzalez, Cody Asche, Scott Van Slyke,
Mike’s Top Six Team Stacks
Diamondbacks – Goldschmidt, Peralta, Pollock, Inciarte, Castillo, Lamb
Royals – Zobrist, Cain, Escobar, Perez, Morales
Phillies – Utley, Herrera, Franco, Brown, Hernandez
Mets – Granderson, Duda, Murphy, Cespedes
Padres – Norris, Gyorko, Upton, Kemp, Solarte
Rockies – Arenado, Stubbs, Rosario, Gonzalez