Sunday, August 23rd DFS MLB Plays
The write-up will be very short today with a few clear cut hitting environments to target. Coors Field and Wrigley Field are the top targets today. The wind doesn’t play a large roll in most parks but it does at Wrigley. The wind is blowing out hard enough today that fly ball outs become HR’s very quickly. Many of the other plays will be similar to the rest of the weekend because we are dealing with the same series for each of the teams and the pricing hasn’t changed on guys like Todd Frazier. Several key players are resting all over the place today so It will be difficult to do much without having team lineups.
- Clayton Kershaw
- Michael Wacha
- Francisco Liriano
- Tiajuan Walker
- Cole Hamels
- Lance McCullers
- Jake Odorizzi
- Kevin Gausman
- Jason Hammel
- Garrett Richards
Clayton Kershaw is the clear cut top play at pitcher against the Astros but it’s tough to roster Kershaw and have exposure to the top hitting environments. Pitching points are obviously still your safest source of scoring, but today you can go either way. There is enough value to make good rosters with Kershaw but you won’t be able to stack the Coors game while doing so. Michael Wacha is next in line pitching in a good park against the Padres. Carlos Martinez struggled a bit with the Padres last night but Wacha is a little better with run prevention. Liriano is once again a top play that is better suited for tournaments. Tiajuan Walker has a ton of upside and a relatively low floor today against the White Sox at home in Seattle which is a large negative park shift for the White Sox. Kevin Gausman has big upside against the Twins who aren’t very good vs RHP.
- Kyle Schwarber – Clear cut top play with catcher eligibility. Wind is blowing out big time with low air density in Chicago. Love the Cubs hitters in this one.
- Travis d’Arnaud – Top play consideration if he is in the lineup today. Anthony Rekker is acceptable replacement if he draws the start instead.
- Nick Hundley – Fine play in all formats if he is in the lineup.
- Victor Martinez
- Yan Gomes
1st Base Rankings
- Anthony Rizzo – Rizzo ranked well before the wind but he becomes the top play with the wind blowing out at Wrigley.
- Paul Goldschmidt – Where to start with Goldschmidt… what a frustrating week it has been with him. Good he fell down in rankings yesterday but he is back near the top again today and would be the top play if the wind wasn’t so strong in Chicago. Great play in all formats
- Ben Paulsen – Paulsen remains a cost effective way to get Coors Field exposure.
- Freddie Freeman
- Joey Votto
- Miguel Cabrera – Miggy is back and hitting very well. One of the safer plays for positive points with big GPP upside.
2nd Base Rankings
- Chris Coghlan – Notice a pattern? Cubs rank well everywhere with the wind at Wrigely. To be fair they were near top plays in normal conditions against Wisler.
- DJ LeMahieu – Another Coors Field special. DJ is basically only in play at Coors.
- Wilmer Flores – Flores has been nice for us this weekend and he gets another decent matchup today. Today the matchup isn’t quite as strong but that Rockies pen is complete spent so there will be plenty of opportunity today.
- Neil Walker
- Jonathan Schoop – Will the O’s finally break out today?
3rd Base Rankings
- Nolan Arenado – Arenado grabs the top spot today with a rookie pitcher making his debut. Very tough spot for a debut at Coors Field.
- Manny Machado
- Daniel Murphy
- Todd Frazier – Frazier continues to hit and his price doesn’t move. Just keep playing Frazier in your cash games and enjoy the discount.
- Kris Bryant – KB is a great tournament option today with the wind.
- Jose Reyes – Reyes earns the top spot today with a few other SS having the day off.
- Jose Iglesias – Love Iglesias vs LHP but the lineup spot makes him a GPP only play.
- Alcides Escobar – Leading off for the Royals against a young LHP. Royals should have a nice day again
- Ruben Tejada
- Addison Russell – Love Russell in tournaments.
Outfield Tier 1:
Nelson Cruz, Carlos Gonzalez, Curtis Granderson, Charlie Blackmon, Bryce Harper, Yoenis Cespedes, Lorenzo Cain, Dexter Fowler, Brandon Barnes, Kelly Johnson
Outfield Tier 2:
Ender Inciarte, A.J. Pollock, Rajai Davis, J.D. Martinez, Jorge Soler, Yasmany Tomas
Mike’s Top Seven Team Stacks
Mets – Cespedes, Lagares, Cuddyer, d’Arnaud
Rockies – Arenado, LeMahieu, Gonzalez, McKenry/Hundley
Rangers – DeShields, Beltre, Andrus, Fielder
Royals – Hosmer, Zobrist, Cain, Moustakas, Morales, Perez, Escobar
Tigers – Martinez, Cabrera, Martinez, Gose
Diamondbacks – Peralta, Lamb, Inciarte, Goldschmidt, Pollock
Reds – Votto, Frazier, Suarez, Phillips