Sunday, September 5th DFS MLB Plays
Like usual, the Sunday write-up will be shorter as teams typically rest players and we are waiting on lineups.
- Dallas Keuchel
- Chris Archer
- Gerrit Cole
- Steven Matz
- Madison Bumgarner
- Johnny Cueto
- Joe Ross
- Hisashi Iwakuma
- Justin Verlander
- Andrew Cashner
Keuchel, Archer and Cole are all similar in the model as far as the high end starters go. Each of the top plays have some concerns today starting with Kecuchel who faces a Twins team that can crush LHP from time to time…. Keuchel is a really good pitcher and throwing at home so I think he can navigate this lineup today and get a win. Keuchel is a very large home favorite today. Archer is next in line and better suited for tournaments or a site like DraftKings that significantly rewards the stikeouts more than the win. Archer is pitching at Yankee Stadium which is a huge park shift against him. Steven Matz is making another start for the Mets today and he gets a nice park to pitch in at Miami against a team that just isn’t very good without Giancarlo Stanton. Madison Bumgarner is worthy of a look in tournaments where his ownership might be low due to pitching at Coors Field. Johnny Cueto has had a very rough starts in a row for the Royals but I love him today at home against the White Sox. Cueto is one of my favorite pitchers in play today at any price point and a strong win candidate.
- Buster Posey – Posey is the clear cut top play at catcher at Coors against a bad LHP. Posey is a top overall play in the model today
- John Jaso – Jaso gets a nice park shift at Yankee Stadium and he is back in the lead-off roll against Nova. Great play if you’re not using Posey.
- Victor Martinez – Victor Martinez continues to have mediocre games but the price is just stupid. Fine play in all formats for his talent level.
- Miguel Montero – Nice weather for hitting at Wrigley today and Montero gets to face his former team.
1st Base Rankings
- Anthony Rizzo – Nice weather at Wrigley and a pitcher who really struggles with LHB… good spot for Rizzo today.
- Joey Votto – Votto is just an elite on base guy who also hits for power. Great ball park and overall a nice rating in the model at 1B.
- Edwin Encarnacion – Edwin in a great park in a R vs R matchup against a pitcher whose shown reverse splits in his career. This is a matchup that Edwin is very familiar with.
- C.J. Cron – Cron is a great play against Lewis if he gets a top 5 lineup spot again today.
2nd Base Rankings
- Kelby Tomlinson – Hoping for a top 4 lineup spot but we will take him where we can get him today. Great play at Coors Field.
- Scooter Gennett – Great value play if leading off. Lorenzen has struggled against LHP this season but he did look very sharp in his last outing.
- Jose Altuve
- Chris Coghlan
3rd Base Rankings
- Josh Donaldson – Price point immediately makes Donaldson a GPP only play.
- Nolan Arenado – Arenado is the hottest hitter in baseball right now and gets to play in the best park in baseball… however, the price tag and matchup with Bumgarner force him into the GPP only category.
- Matt Duffy – Duffy makes the most since in cash games in a nice matchup at Coors Field. Take advantage of that park shift!
- Manny Machado – Machado is a sneaky tournament play with HR upside today at Toronto.
- Travis Shaw – Shaw is starting today over Sandoval.
- Troy Tulowitzki – Tulo still tops the lists as the top play against Tillman and his reverse splits to RH power
- Carlos Correa – Correa is close to the top play but his price tag is just too aggressive for anything other than tournaments
- Brandon Crawford – Big park shift for the Giants.
- Ian Desmond – Desmond has good power against LHP and this LHP isn’t a very good one.
- Alcides Escobar – Great cash game play because he is still minimum price for some reason.
Outfield Tier 1:
Mike Trout, Jose Bautista, Marlon Byrd, Nelson Cruz, Bryce Harper, Michael Brantley, Jayson Werth, Mookie Betts
Outfield Tier 2:
David Peralta, Grady Sizemore, Ben Revere, Anthony Gose, Angel Pagan, Dexter Fowler
Mike’s Top Six Team Stacks
Giants – Posey, Duffy, Byrd, Tomlinson, Crawford
Red Sox – Ortiz, Betts, Shaw, Bogaerts
Nationals – Werth, Harper, Rendon, Desmond
Cubs – Fowler, Rizzo, Bryant, Montero
Blue Jays – Encarnacion, Revere, Tulowitzki, Bautista, Donaldson
Angels – Trout, Calhoun, Cron, Aybar