Sunday, August 2nd DFS MLB Plays
- Jose Fernandez
- Noah Syndergaard
- Sonny Gray
- James Shields
- Jaime Garcia
- Hisashi Iwakuma
- Ubaldo Jimenez
- Trevor Bauer
- Jordan Zimmermann
- Julio Teheran
- Mat Latos
Jose Fernandez is the clear cut top pitcher by a wide margin tonight as he gets a home game against a pretty weak offense. Fernandez is a large favorite with a very low total of just 6 runs. Fernandez has a K/9 rate just over 10 so we should see plenty of strikeouts today against a team that strikes out at a rate above league average. Syndergaard, Gray and Shields all rank very closely today and the ultimate decision will be made based on the weather/umpire conditions. Sonny Gray has a lot going for him today with the big park at home and a favorable umpire. Shields is on the road but a nice big park to pitch in gives him a lot of upside. Shields is the guy that will be the lowest owned of the three so I’d look that direction in tournaments. Syndergaard is a great pitcher but the Nationals are finally healthy and could present a challenge for Noah tonight on Sunday Night baseball. The model lists Noah 2nd but I don’t think its fully capturing the present day value of the Nationals with a healthy team out there. Trevor Bauer is a decent boom or bust play in tournaments that should carry low ownership levels. Teheran is also worth a shot in tournaments.
- Kyle Schwarber – Schwarber came through last night and he is the top play one again on Sunday in the nice park shift for the Cubs. Great matchup for the Cubs lefties today.
- Buster Posey – Posey and the Giants finally showed up last night and they have a significantly better matchup today with Perez. Posey would be the top play if Schwarber wasn’t available at such a discount. We want exposure to both players today.
- Francisco Cervelli – Cervelli should come with a low ownership level today but he has a great lineup spot (6th) in a big park shift against a really poor starting pitcher. The Pirates are set up for a big day.
- Matt Wieters – Switch hitter who remains under priced for his skill set… fine play in all formats but certainly not the top play.
- Brian McCann – Good park for the Yankees to hit in with that guaranteed 9th inning AB for the team.
1st Base Rankings
- Prince Fielder – Fielder had a nice multi hit game for us last night and he ranks at the top of our list again today against Mike Leake. Leake is making his Giants debut in a tough park with a DH in play (Prince) instead of a pitcher like he is used to in the NL. Texas lefties are all in play today in all formats and should come with low ownership levels like we saw last night.
- Anthony Rizzo – Rizzo is having an amazing series in Milwaukee where he loves hitting in this park. He will be the highest owned 1B play today and for good reason. Kyle Lohse is having a rough year with all batters.
- Jose Abreu
- Pedro Alvarez – Alvarez has some of the craziest day/night splits out there for his career. Alvarez is an amazing tournament play today as he crushes balls frequently during day games.
- Eric Hosmer – Big park shift for the Royals and low ownership level due to price.
2nd Base Rankings
- Jose Altuve – Altuve has been relatively quiet lately but he will break out today against Robbie Ray at home in Houston. Astros righties are all in play today in all formats.
- Robinson Cano – Big park shift and great mathcup with Mike Pelfrey for the Mariners today.
- Joe Panik – Panik is one guy we like in L vs L matchups. Elite lineup spot with some of the best hitters of the slate hitting behind him.
- Ben Zobrist – Zobrist is playing well since joining the Royals and he gets a familiar matchup today from his time with the Rays. Switch hitter with platoon advantage throughout the game.
- Neil Walker
3rd Base Rankings
- Evan Longoria – Longoria ranks as the top play in the model at 3b against a LHP in a positive park shift.
- Kyle Seager – See above with Cano… good spot for SEA today.
- Alex Rodriguez – A-Rod and the Yankees were shut down by John Danks last night. Look out Jeff Samardzija.
- Manny Machado
- Matt Duffy – Love Duffy as a contrarian play today due to his price
- Jhonny Peralta – Peralta is the top play against a LHP tonight. Poor park but that doesn’t matter much for a hitter like Peralta who usually hits the no doubt HR’s. This was a copy and paste from last night where Peralta hit a HR and he gets the same great matchup today.
- Troy Tulowitzki – The price tag has jumped back up on Tulo. More of a tournament play today against Volquez and the Royals bullpen.
- Brandon Crawford – L vs L doesn’t matter much for Crawford as he has really grown as a player this season with his ability to hit left handed pitching. Great park and hopefully he slides up to 5th in the order today… fingers crossed.
- Carlos Correa – Correa had a huge 2 HR night last night and he has an even better matchup today with Robbie Ray. Ray has been solid for the D-Backs but so had Jeremy Hellickson… how did that work out for them last night? Expecting a similar result today.
- Jose Iglesias
Outfield Tier 1:
Andrew McCutchen, Starling Marte, Gregory Polanco, Shin-Soo Choo, Ryan Braun, Nelson Cruz, Mike Trout, Hunter Pence, Carlos Gomez, Franklin Gutierrez
Outfield Tier 2:
Jose Bautista, Jacoby Ellsbury, Carlos Beltran, Brett Gardner, Mitch Moreland, Josh Hamilton, Seth Smith, Bryce Harper, Nori Aoki, Joey Butler
Mike’s Top Six Team Stacks
Pirates – McCutchen, Marte, Polanco, Alvarez, Cervelli
Giants – Posey, Pence, Panik, Crawford, Duffy
Astros – Altuve, Correa, Gomez, Carter, Gattis
Cubs – Schwarber, Rizzo, Fowler, Coghlan, Bryant
Mariners – Seager, Cruz, Cano, Gutierrez, Marte
Rangers – Fielder, Odor, Moreland, Choo, Hamilton