Thursday, August 6th DFS MLB Plays
What an ugly day for DFS baseball. I highly recommend taking the night off or playing very lightly. There aren’t really any pitching options that we feel comfortable with in this short 5 game slate with 1 game having weather issues we basically have a 4 game slate with a lot of overlap and a lot of variance. The write-up will be much shorter today because its so clear cut on the players to target.
- Jason Hammel
- Chris Heston
- Aaron Brooks
- Matt Wisler – Weather risk
- Mark Buehrle
- C.C. Sabathia
- Scott Feldman
Pitching is pretty weak tonight with the two top players in projection facing each other. Jason Hammel earns the top spot at home. Hammel has very neutral splits where Heston has rathe extreme splits where he struggles with LHB. Many of the Cubs best hitters hit from the left side of the plate with Rizzo, Fowler and Schwarber. I actually like the Cubs stack A LOT tonight in tournaments with the expected ownership on Heston. Aaron Brooks has upside in a great pitchers park against a tired team, but the sample size is small so we don’t have much data to work with here. Buehrle and Sabathia are both solid GPP plays (that should tell you how weak the slate is).
- Kyle Schwarber – Schwarber is by far the top play at catcher for us tonight against Heston who struggles with lefties.
- Russell Martin – Martin is next in line due to the upside his team possess at home and his nice lineup position.
- Buster Posey – Posey is definitely in play on a extremely short slate like tonight.
- Stephen Vogt – Great price and lineup spot against a very average pitcher.
1st Base Rankings
- Anthony Rizzo – Love the Cubs lefties at home tonight. Maybe more suited for tournaments but I like them a lot.
- Edwin Encarnacion – Love Edwin at home against a righty. Edwin is a reverse splits guy that hits for power against RHP.
- Mark Teixeira – Teixeira and the Yankees were awful last night in a spot where they should have crushed. Always a dangerous offense.
- Mike Napoli – Napoli has lost a step in my opinion but he ranks well in the model against CC. Probably because CC has been awful vs RHB this season.
2nd Base Rankings
- Brian Dozier – Dozier in a hitters park vs a LHP.. Yup, he is the top play.
- Dee Gordon – Big speed upside against a young pitcher and a catcher who is poor at throwing out runners. There is some weather risk here so we will need to monitor this.
- Jose Altuve – Altuve had another disappointing game last night as he continues to slump. Very contrarian play on the road tonight in a bad park with his high price tag.
- Miguel Rojas
- Addison Russell
3rd Base Rankings
- Alex Rodriguez – A-Rod at home vs a LHP. Rodriguez is easily the top play tonight on a short slate. You definitely want A-Rod exposure if you’re playing multiple lineups.
- Josh Donaldson – Donaldson hit another HR last night and I like the matchup again tonight. Once again he has as much upside as anyone tonight on a short slate.
- Trevor Plouffe/ Miguel Sano – Twins hit lefties very well.
- Derek Dietrich – Huge upside with low ownership level.
- Xander Bogaerts/Josh Rutledge – Not great values but we don’t need a ton of value with a lack of top end pitching options. Nice plays against CC.
- Carlos Correa – Contrarian play with power and speed upside. I like Correa and the Astros tonight against a young pitcher with a new team.
- Troy Tulowitzki – Tulo is Tulo… of course he is in play.
- Jed Lowrie – Lowrie back in Oakland against his former team in a park he is very familiar with.
Outfield Tier 1:
Chris Young, Aaron Hicks, Jose Bautista, Hanley Ramirez, Chris Coghlan, Carlos Gomez, Rusney Castillo
Outfield Tier 2:
Christian Yelich, Josh Reddick, Nick Markakis, Torii Hunter, Jacoby Ellsbury, Carlos Beltran
Mike’s Top Five Team Stacks
Yankees – Rodriguez, Young, Teixeira, Beltran
Blue Jays – Encarnacion, Bautista, Donaldson, Tulowitzki
Red Sox – Napoli, Bogaerts, Ramirez, Rutledge
Twins – Dozier, Hicks, Sano, Plouffe, Rosario
Astros – Altuve, Correa, Gomez, Lowrie