Thursday, August 20th DFS MLB Plays
Tonight we have a shorter 10 game slate that feels about like a 4-5 game slate with some of the hitting environments offersing much stronger plays than others. We have another Coors Field game and the Blue Jays get a dreamy matchup with a LHP who basically throws only fastballs. The write-up will be extremely short today because of how focused the targets are tonight. While I’m not completely interested in picking on Strasburg, I do think the Rockies will rack up stolen bases if they manage to reach base.
- Jake Arrieta
- Chris Archer
- Max Scherzer
- Patrick Corbin
- Collin McHugh
- Jose Quintana
- Charlie Morton
Jake Arrieta and Chris Archer are easily the top 2 targets at starting pitcher tonight with Scherzer pitching at Coors Field. Arrietta gets the Braves in a NL game where he gets to face a pitcher at the plate and Archer gets the Astros on the road in Houston. Archer on the road is a little concerning, but those concerns are reduced quickly by the Astros free-swinging approach. Arrieta is the clear cut favorite to pick up a win with a large implied win probability at -280 currently. Max Scherzer is an ace and the Rockies just aren’t very good… Feel free to use Max as a contrarian tournament option tonight. I love to jump on players like Max immediately following a poor outing like he had last time out. Patrick Corbin has been great since returning for the D-Backs. Tonight he has a little tougher task as he gets to pitch on the road in a good hitters park. He is used to pitching in a hitters park so I’m not overly concerned. The price tag on Corbin really opens things up for your hitters… fine play in all formats tonight.
- Kyle Schwarber – Schwarber hit another HR last night and he has a great shot again tonight. The Cubs lefties have big upside tonight with the wind blowing out again at Wrigley.
- Victor Martinez – The Tigers are heating up with the return of Miguel Cabrera. Victor should be back in the lineup tonight in the AL game. Victor is just too cheap for the talent/lineup spot on FanDuel where you can play him at catcher.
- James McCann – Love the Tigers tonight. McCann has a ton of upside at the bottom of the order here. Love McCann in tournaments.
- Wilson Ramos – I like the bottom of the Nationals order a lot tonight at Coors Field. Ramos is going to have a nice game tonight if he is in the lineup.
- Wellington Castillo
1st Base Rankings
- Paul Goldschmidt – Goldy in a hitters park against a young LHP… sign me up. The Diamondbacks have a dreamy matchup tonight for a road game with that guaranteed 9th inning team AB!
- Miguel Cabrera – Miggy is back and the Tigers are one of the top offenses tonight against Perez and the Rangers. The park is basically neutral but it should be a good run scoring environment tonight with those two pitchers on the mound.
- Anthony Rizzo – How frustrating was Rizzo last night? My goodness… 0-6 and left several men on base. I think he redeems himself in a big way tonight against a pitcher who throws hard and struggles with LHB.
- Prince Fielder – Prince returns to Detroit and gets a great matchup with Alfredo Simon who really struggles with lefties and doesn’t miss many bats in general
- Ryan Zimmerman – Lineup spot isn’t ideal but not a huge issue at Coors Field. Fine target in all formats
- Carlos Santana
2nd Base Rankings
- Anthony Rendon – Top play if he gets the start tonight at Coors Field. We don’t really need much analysis for these Coors guys.
- Danny Espinosa – More Nationals… once again a top target against Flande
- Jason Kipnis – Kipnis has returned from injury and will be severely under owned for a while.
- Chris Coghlan
- Ian Kinsler – Love those Tigers tonight. Another guy facing his former team.
3rd Base Rankings
- Miguel Sano – Sano is just having an amazing rookie year for the Twins. Great tournament play with big HR upside.
- Manny Machado – Machado ranks very well in a few categories tonight. I think he does his little lead-off HR trick tonight.
- Kris Bryant – KB had a monster game last night and he will have plenty of opportunities tonight against a young pitcher on the road.
- Derek Dietrich – Marlins are a sneaky low owned stack that I like. A complete Marlins stack won’t win you anything but a mini stack of 3 might be sneaky paired with another high scoring offense. Dietrich has big upside here tonight against Jerome Williams.
- Alex Rodriguez
- Jose Iglesias – Iglesias has had an incredible year against LHP with a wOBA over .400. Lineup spot will likely be poor due to the return of Cabrera, but he is in play in all formats at any lineup position in this matchup.
- Ian Desmond – Desmond has as much upside as anyone with his power at Coors Field and a great RBI lineup spot against Flande.
- Xander Bogaerts – Xander is another guy we love against LHP. Nice lineup spot but more of a tournament option tonight.
- Alcides Escobar
- Addison Russell – I love Addison Russell in tournaments tonight. The lineup spot is poor, their are heavily favored at home so they likely lose the 9th inning AB and he doesn’t have the platoon advantage… Several key factors working against Russell tonight should drive his ownership levels to the 0-2% level.
Outfield Tier 1:
Jayson Werth, J.D. Martinez, Lorenzo Cain, Bryce Harper, Ben Zobrist, Rajai Davis, Michael Brantley, Mike Trout, A.J. Pollock, Gerardo Parra
Outfield Tier 2:
Dexter Fowler, Alex Rios, Brett Gardner, Jacoby Ellsbury, Yasmany Tomas, Marcell Ozuna, Carlos Beltran, Jorge Soler
Mike’s Top Six Team Stacks
Nationals – Harper, Rendon, Espinosa, Escobar, Werth, Zimmerman
Tigers – Cabrera, Martinez, Martinez, Iglesias, Kinsler, Davis
Diamondbacks – Pollock, Goldschmidt, Ahmed, Castillo, Tomas
Rangers – Fielder, Odor, Moreland, Choo
Royals – Cain, Zobrist, Escobar, Perez, Morales
Marlins – Gordon, Dietrich, Bour, Prado, Suzuki – Marlins stacks will be very low owned tonight but I like the speed upside.