Tuesday, August 18th DFS MLB Plays
Tonight we have a full 15 game slate with a Coors Field series and Clayton Kershaw throwing. We will have extra GPP lineups for ultimate members tonight with 4 FD and 3 DK tournament lineups.
- Clayton Kershaw
- Francisco Liriano
- Lance Lynn
- Jacob deGrom
- Garrett Richards
- James Shields
- Jason Hammel
Clayton Kershaw is the clear cut top play at pitcher tonight in a great matchup despite being on the road and moving to the AL to face a DH instead of a pitcher. Oakland has a massive foul ball area due to the stadium layout.. this will be a huge boost to a guy like Kershaw who often strikes guys out or induces partial contact. Kershaw is the largest favorite of the slate in the game with the lowest total. After Kershaw things are interesting because we have quality pitchers who all rank very similarly in the model. Liriano is a large favorite in vegas (like Cole was last night) but he is always a little scary to use in your cash games due to his wildness at times. Lance Lynn is a strong win candidate at home against the Giants. Lynn is a strong -150+ favorite tonight against Ryan Vogelsong. Jacob deGrom is one of the most talented pitchers in baseball but he has a lot of things working against him tonight as he is on the road in a negative park shift and he is switching leagues to the AL where he will face a DH (a good one) instead of a pitcher at the plate. deGrom still has great upside with strikeouts but I don’t trust the Mets bullpen to hold any sort of a lead. Garrett Richards is viable in all formats tonight at home against the White Sox. This is a large negative park shift for the White Sox and Richards is in good form currently with an uptick in his K rate. The Angels should provide run support against John Danks tonight. James Shields is another one of those guys that just frustrates the crap out of you but he is in play in all formats tonight at home at Petco against the Braves. There have been several early, sharp movements on SD in this game so I like what I’m seeing there for I’ve never had a Big Game James.
The write-up is coming out much earlier today so pitching rankings will be updated against later before lineups lock.
- Kyle Schwarber – Schwarber ranks as the top play at catcher tonight just ahead of McCann. Schwarber gets a home game against Anibal Sanchez. Schwarber always has a great lineup spot when he starts for the Cubs. Schwarber ranks as a top 30 overall hitter tonight on a full 15 game slate.
- Brian McCann – Brian McCann rewarded us last night with a 5 RBI game and he has another nice matchup tonight with the short porch at Yankee Stadium. McCann might even slide up to hit clean up tonight if Teixeira doesn’t play.
- Jonathan Lucroy – Lucroy (and all of the Brewers) had an off night last night but they get another young LHP tonight to try again. Lucroy is a great play at minimum price hitting 2nd in a good park at home.
- Russell Martin – Martin will likely be available at a low ownership level tonight with several viable options at the position and the perception that Nola is a good pitcher. I do like Nola going forward but we all know that pitching at Toronto is a tough task for anyone.
- John Jaso – Should be in the lineup leading off tonight. Another catcher with a great lineup spot and a guaranteed 9th inning team AB.
- Yan Gomes
1st Base Rankings
- Prince Fielder – More of a contrarian play against Iwakuma but I like Prince in Texas mini stacks… he ranks well in the model.
- Eric Hosmer – Hosmer is one of the hottest hitters in baseball and tonight the Royals take on the Reds in a large park shift for the Royals hitters plus the guaranteed 9th inning team AB. Hosmer is a strong play in all formats.
- Edwin Encarnacion – Love Edwin in R vs R matchups at home. Great tournament play tonight against Nola.
- Ben Paulsen – Coors Field… below average matchup with Zimmermann who is a solid pitcher
- Ryan Zimmerman – Big park shift for the Nationals tonight against David Hale. There will be a few Nationals mentioned tonight.
- David Ortiz
2nd Base Rankings
- Anthony Rendon – Rendon is the top play at 2B in a huge park shift at Coors. Rendon is one of the most reasonably priced player for the Nationals tonight who typically draws a top 2 lineup spot.
- Robinson Cano – Decent park and guaranteed 9th inning team AB pushes Cano into a top play at 2B tonight
- Brian Dozier – Dozier and the Twins get CC Sabathia tonight at Yankee Stadium. The Twins are built to hit LHP for power and CC gives up his fair share of hard contact. Sabathia has looked better at times but the Twins and Dozier still have a ton of upside tonight. Keep in mind the Yankees blew through their bullpen last night so there might be more opportunity than usual tonight in late innings.
- Enrique Hernandez – Poor park but good lineup spot and nice price tag. Fine play.
- Dee Gordon – Big upside in a big park shift for Gordon and the Marlins
3rd Base Rankings
- Miguel Sano – Sano had a big night for us last night and he is in another great spot tonight against CC at Yankee Stadium.
- Alex Rodriguez – A-Rod is in a big slump right now but he continues to rank at the top of the list at 3B. Fine play anytime he is playing at home at Yankee Stadium
- Yunel Escobar – Another great way to get Coors exposure as Escobar has been leading off for the Nationals.
- Derek Dietrich – Dietrich is another guy who hit a HR for us last night in our tournament lineups. We will want to take advantage of the park shift once again for the Marlins lefties.
- Matt Carpenter – Large slates like this are great for guys like Carpenter who constantly go under owned on full slates. Great matchup with Vogelsong despite the poor park and low run scoring environment.
- Troy Tulowitzki – Tulowitzki is frustrating but he is the top play. Certainly more of a tournament play tonight against Nola but he has big upside
- Carlos Correa – Another tournament only play like usual… big power and speed combo but the price is just too aggressive for cash games.
- Ian Desmond – Desmond typically has a bottom half of the oder spot which isn’t ideal but he is yet another nice way to get Coors exposure and he has good power.
- Jean Segura – Segura had a very solid game last night for how weak his team was. Looking for a similar performance tonight as he should lead off again against another LHP.
- Brad Miller – Poor lineup spot most of the time but a great play. Elite play if he hits near the top for some reason tonight.
- Jose Reyes – Reyes will be in play every day the Rockies play at home. Fine play.
Outfield Tier 1:
Bryce Harper, Aaron Hicks, Mike Trout, Andrew McCutchen, Jayson Werth, Carlos Gonzalez, Ryan Braun, Jose Bautista, Charlie Blackmon
Outfield Tier 2:
Clint Robinson, Brett Gardner, Nelson Cruz, Jacoby Ellsbury, Michael Taylor, Carlos Beltran, Torii Hunter, Jason Heyward, Mitch Moreland, Starlings Marte
Mike’s Top Eight Team Stacks
Nationals – Harper, Rendon, Robinson, Escobar, Werth, Zimmerman
Rockies – Blackmon, Gonzalez, Reyes, Paulsen, Arenado
Yankees – Ellsbury, Gardner, McCann, Beltran
Twins – Hicks, Dozier, Sano, Hunter, Suzuki
Brewers – Lucroy, Braun, Segura, Davis, Peterson
Mariners – Cano, Seager, Cruz, Miller, Marte
Blue Jays – Donaldson, Bautista, Encarnacion, Tulowitzki
Royals – Hosmer, Zobrist, Morales, Moustakas, Cain