Tuesday, July 21st DFS MLB Plays
Tonight screams tournaments to me. Cash games will still be fine but you should expect a high amount of overlap tonight. I personally will be playing 60-70% of my normal volume with a few extra tournament teams.
- Jacob deGrom
- Gerrit Cole – Tournament only
- Joe Ross
- Danny Salazar
- Chris Heston
- Michael Wacha
- Jason Hammel
- Brett Anderson
- Nate Karns
Pitching is pretty weak again tonight with the best players in the worst matchups. Jacob deGrom is the top play in projection but he is on the road against the Nationals. deGrom is definitely in play in all formats but is best suited for use on multiple SP sites. Joe Ross is the best value on the board at just $5k on both sites. The most realistic strategy tonight is to use a guy like Ross in cash games and load up on all the +EV hitting situations. It’s very possible that Ross will be the highest owned pitcher tonight but we aren’t projecting many other highly owned pitchers tonight so the emphasis should be shifted heavily to these elite hitting environments. The Coors game has a total pushing 12 right now 3 hours before lineup lock.
- Kyle Schwarber – Schwarber will hit 2nd agian for the Cubs tonight in a nice positive park shift against a pitcher who struggles against left handed hitters. The price point/lineup spot make Schwarber the clear cut top target at catcher tonight.
- Michael McKenry – Love McKenry if he gets the start tonight… not holding my breath.
- Josh Phegley – Decent tournament/contrarian play tonight in a poor park against a decent LHP.
- John Jaso – Jaso will likely go under owned tonight due to the Coors game and Schwarber hitting at the top of the order.
1st Base Rankings
- Wilin Rosario – Rosario is the top play in the wOBA model and a great play on DK where he can be used in the catcher spot.
- Prince Fielder – Best possible park shift for the Rangers tonight. Prince is the top play in projection with big HR upside.
- Chris Davis – Davis gets a matchup with the short porch at Yankee Stadium and the slate provides an opportunity to get exposure at a below average ownership levels.
- Anthony Rizzo – Rizzo and the Cubs also have a nice park shift against the Reds. Iglesias has struggled with LHB at times and Rizzo is an elite hitter.
- Joey Votto
2nd Base Rankings
- Robinson Cano – Cano is the top play at 2B in a good park shift against the Tigers. Shane Greene doesn’t miss many bats so we love the Mariners tonight and we love targeting road teams to guarantee that 9th inning AB for the team.
- Jose Altuve – Altuve at home against a young LHP… another guy like Davis where we should be able to get below average ownership % because of the Coors game.
- Jimmy Paredes
- Rougned Odor – Odor is a great play in all formats and a bit of a contrarian play while still focusing on Coors where others will likely look to Cano to have that Seattle exposure.
- DJ LeMahieu – Lineup spot it critical here… fine play if he continues to hit 2nd.
- Johnny Giavotella – Giavotella will go underowned tonight leading off at near minimum price… great filler play if you’re focusing on the other positions I’m totally fine punting with Giavotella in all formats.
3rd Base Rankings
- Nolan Arenado – Arenado leads the pack at a loaded 3B position tonight. I don’t really need to tell you that Arenado is a good play at Coors Field against a LHP.
- Adrian Beltre – Beltre loses the platoon advantage tonight but he still has the huge park shift and a great lineup spot. Fine play in all formats.
- Kyle Seager – Many of you will be bitter from last night with Kyle Seager but he is still a top target at 3B tonight and definitely someone we will have exposure to.
- Alex Rodriguez – Another elite hitter that will go way under owned tonight because of COL/TEX/SEA
- Derek Dietrich – Big park shift for the fish. Love Dietrich in tournaments.
- Troy Tulowitzki – Tulo is the obvious top play when the Rockies are at home. I don’t think Tulo is a must play with a few of these others guys in plus spots but it will ultimately depend on lineup spot for each of these hitters.
- Jhonny Peralta – Peralta is one of our favorite lefty mashers and he gets a nice park shift tonight in Chicago. Great alternative to Tulo tonight.
- Brad Miller – Miller had an awful game (with some bad luck outs) last night but he is definitely still a top target if he is leading off again
- Carlos Correa
- Elvis Andrus
Outfield Tier 1:
Shin-Soo Choo, Matt Holliday, Drew Stubbs, Mitch Moreland, Josh Hamilton, Mike Trout, Andrew McCutchen, Starling Marte, Seth Smith, Brandon Barnes
Outfield Tier 2:
Jake Smolinski, Christian Yelich, Michael Brantley, David Peralta, J.D. Martinez, Delino DeShields, Franklin Gutierrez, Billy Burns, Brandon Moss
Mike’s Top Six Team Stacks
Rockies – Tulowitzki, Arenado, Rosario, LeMahieu, Stubbs, Barnes, McKenry
Rangers – Fielder, Hamilton, Odor, Beltre, Moreland, Choo
Mariners – Cano, Seager, Miller, Cruz, Smith, Morrison
Cardinals – Peralta, Holliday, Carpenter, Reynolds, Grichuk
Cubs – Rizzo, Bryant, Schwarber, Fowler, Coghlan
Astros – Altuve, Correa, Tucker, Gattis, Carter
Indians – Brantley, Kipnis, Moss, Lindor
Be sure to use the our optimal lineups when they are posted later this afternoon.