Wednesday, August 19th DFS MLB Plays
Tonight we have a shorter 10 game slate that feels about like a 4-5 game slate with some of the hitting environments offersing much stronger plays than others. We have another Coors Field game and the Blue Jays get a dreamy matchup with a LHP who basically throws only fastballs. The write-up will be extremely short today because of how focused the targets are tonight. While I’m not completely interested in picking on Strasburg, I do think the Rockies will rack up stolen bases if they manage to reach base.
- Dallas Keuchel
- Corey Kluber
- Jon Lester
- Jaime Garcia
- Noah Syngergaard
- Ubaldo Jimenez
- Stephen Strasburg
- Robbie Ray
- Nate Karns
- J.A. Happ
Dallas Keuchel is the top play in the model and his pitch profiles match up extremely well with the Rays. Keuchel has big upside tonight at home as his team should provide a little run support against Nate Karns. Jon Lester and Corey Kluber are very close tonight and ultimately both are fine plays in all formats with Lester having a little more upside while pitching at home in the NL where the Tigers will be without Victor Martinez. Jaime Garcia has some pretty nice reverse splits and he has been very good for the Cardinals. The guy I’m most worried about for Garcia is Brandon Belt who matches up extremely well with his pitch profiles and reverse splits. Stephen Strasburg is a high upside play but is probably not needed tonight with the top tier in decent spots. Strasburg is a fastball heavy pitcher which is nice because he doesn’t rely on breaking pitches that won’t break at Coors.
- Russell Martin – Martin is easily the top play tonight against a fastball heavy LHP. We get the 9th inning team AB for the Jays tonight… huge boost to the value of the team.
- Carlos Ruiz – Nice contrarian play tonight if he is in the lineup.
- Wilson Ramos – Ramos had an awful game last night but he is another top target tonight it he gets the start… Coors is a wonderful place for hitting.
- Francisco Cervelli – Cervelli is one of my favorite tournament plays tonight that should be low owned with a nice spot in the Pirates order.
1st Base Rankings
- Paul Goldschmidt – Goldy crushes LHP and he is definitely in play tonight. The ownership level will be low tonight due to the negative park shift on the road against the Pirates.
- Joey Votto – Nice matchup with Jeremy Guthrie who really struggles with lefties. Votto should reach base a few times tonight.
- Anthony Rizzo – Rizzo is hitting LHP like crazy this season. Many will shy away in the L vs L matchup but Rizzo has proven he can hit all pitching so don’t be afraid to roster Rizzo tonight if you like him.
- Eric Hosmer – Hosmer had a disappointing game last night but we aren’t giving up on the park shift in Great American Ball Park.
- Edwin Encarnacion – Prefer Edwin in R vs R matchups but the team matchup is so good that it doesn’t matter much tonight against Adam Morgan.
2nd Base Rankings
- Anthony Rendon – Top play if he gets the start tonight at Coors Field. We don’t really need much analysis for these Coors guys.
- Danny Espinosa – Great game from Espinosa last night and another great spot tonight against Jorge De La Rosa.
- Ben Zobrist – Zobrist is having a great stint with the Royals. Switch hitter with platoon advantage throughout the game… great park shift.
- Jason Kipnis – Kipnis is returning from injury and will be under owned.
3rd Base Rankings
- Josh Donaldson – Clear cut top play at 3B tonight against a fastball throwing LHP.
- Nolan Arenado
- Yunel Escobar – I probably don’t need to tell you to stack the Nationals tonight. Yunel is a great play with dual positional eligibility on DK.
- Ryan Zimmerman – Another Nationals player who ranks well in the model. Dual positional eligibility here too.
- Mike Moustakas – Royals will have low ownership levels tonight
- Troy Tulowitzki – Clear cut top play at SS and the top play in the on base model.
- Ian Desmond – Desmond has huge upside at SS tonight but the price tag isn’t exactly a great value. Still love him in all foramts
- Nick Ahmed – Ahmed is hitting 2nd tonight which is a huge boost to his value but he will still be very low owned tonight. Great tournaments play.
- Jung-Ho Kang – Pirates are a nice tournament stack tonight. Kang has big upside
- Jose Reyes
Outfield Tier 1:
Jayson Werth, Jose Bautista, Bryce Harper, Andrew McCutchen, Starling Marte, Michael Brantley, Dexter Fowler, A.J. Pollock, Charlie Blackmon, Carlos Gonzalez
Outfield Tier 2:
Mike Trout, Curtis Granderson, J.D. Martinez, Carlos Gomez, Yoenis Cespedes, Brandon Barnes, Michael Taylor, Kevin Pillar
Mike’s Top Six Team Stacks
Nationals – Harper, Rendon, Espinosa, Escobar, Werth, Zimmerman
Blue Jays – Tulowitzki, Donaldson, Bautista, Martin, Encarnacion
Cubs – Rizzo, Bryant, Fowler, Denorfia, Russell
Royals – Zobrist, Cain, Hosmer, Dyson, Moustakas, Escobar
Rockies – Blackmon, Gonzalez, LeMahieu, Paulsen
Pirates – Marte, McCutchen, Ramirez, Kang