Wednesday, July 8th DFS MLB Plays
Another night with a few weather issues tonight but we will be back up to 85%-100% of normal volume tonight. Pitching was a little crazy last night with Max getting blown up and Kluber having no real rain delay like we had projected. Fortunately for us we had Cueto on DraftKings who threw a CGSO with 11 K’s and a win.
- Clayton Kershaw
- Chris Archer
- Jason Hammel
- Michael Wacha
- Trevor Bauer
- Drew Hutchison
Clayton Kershaw is easily the top play at pitcher and the gap to the next in line is rather large tonight with Archer playing on the road against the Royals. Kershaw should be anchoring most of your cash games currently… Like most days pitching is very sensitive and our stance can/will change late in the day as we receive more information on the games. The pitchers listed above are all guys I’m comfortable having exposure to on multiple pitcher sites and in tournaments. Check back a little closer to lock for an updated rankings list.
- Chris Iannetta – Iannetta ranks as a top play at catcher thanks to the matchup with a LHP and the park shift at Coors Field. Iannetta has decent numbers (and power) against LHP in his career. The lineup spot will be less than ideal if he is in the lineup at all but its a great way to get that Coors exposure.
- Josh Phegley – Phegley is one of our favorite lefty mashers at catcher and tonight he gets a big positive park shift at Yankee Stadium. Decent play here is he hits 5th tonight like he has been against LHP.
- Dioner Navarro – Navarro has a nice matchup with John Danks and should benefit from the elite matchups of his teammates. Another great play in all formats depending on lineup spot.
- Wellington Castillo – Castillo gets a nice matchup against a LHP in a decent park. Castillo has been hitting as high as 5th against LHP… if he is hitting top 5 he is a core target tonight.
- Nick Hundley
1st Base Rankings
- Paul Goldschmidt – Goldy in a decent park against a below average LHP… sign me up. Obviously the price tag will force Goldy into GPP only category but he is a top 5 overall hitter tonight and easily the top play at 1B.
- Edwin Encarnacion – We actually prefer Edwin against RHP but he is in a great spot for RBI opportunity against John Danks tonight in a hitters park.
- David Ortiz – Ortiz was pretty frustrating last night but the Red Sox rank very well again tonight and Ortiz is a big reason for the high ranking. Fine play in all formats.
- Ben Paulsen – Decent way to get Coors exposure if hitting 5th.
- Prince Fielder
- Billy Butler – Butler is an elite hitter against LHP and has a nice park shift tonight at Yankee Stadium. In play in all formats.
- C.J. Cron – The lineup spot will be weak (if in the lineup at all) but once again another decent option to get that Coors exposure.
2nd Base Rankings
- Howie Kendrick – Howie Kendrick ranks as the top play against a young LHP on the road. Dodgers stadium is definitely a pitchers park but the matchup is nice for Kendrick tonight.
- Kike Hernandez – See above notes for Kendrick but add a pinch hit risk.
- Jason Kipnis – GPP only due to price but tonight is a great chance to get 5% or less ownership on the best 2nd basemen in the game.
- Ben Zobrist – Switch hitter who is familiar with CC and Yankee Stadium.
- Johnny Giavotella – Great value if leading off at Coors with the massive park shift
- Rougned Odor – Great value against Hellickson if hitting top 2 tonight.
3rd Base Rankings
- Josh Donaldson – Josh Donaldson is the obvious top play against a LHP in a hitters park. The price is pretty fair but still expensive. Donaldson was good for us last night and probably the only reason we cashed the Anderson lineup in cash games. Great play again tonight against John Danks
- Danny Valencia – See above on Donaldson. Valencia has dual positional eligibility on DraftKings so be sure to take advantage of that.
- David Freese – Freese has great numbers against LHP in his career and has the ultimate park shift tonight at Coors. Hopefully he slides up to 5th tonight.
- Adrian Beltre
- Pablo Sandoval – Sandoval was just gross last night but he is definitely in play again tonight if he is hitting top 6.
- Troy Tulowitzki – Tulo is the obvious top play at SS at home but it’s definitely a worse matchup tonight so I’m going to slide him into the GPP category personally.
- Carlos Correa – Correa is the contrarian play tonight due to price. Great shot to get 6-8% ownership in tournaments.
- Nick Ahmed – Ahmed has been leading off for Arizona against LHP which is a huge bump to his value when he goes from 8-9 to 1. Cash game viable if leading off.
- Erick Aybar – Switch hitter who we prefer from the left side but the park shift is elite, making Aybar playable in all formats tonight.
- Marcus Semien – I love Semien as a gpp play tonight. The lineup spot is typically awful but its a great matchup for his skill set.
Mike Trout is easily the top play and the #1 overall hitter in the model in a huge park shift at Coors Field. He is expensive but he is definitely the top overall hitter.
Outfield Tier 1:
Mike Trout, Jose Bautista, Bryce Harper, Daniel Robertson, Jake Smolinski, A.J. Pollock, Yasmany Tomas, Carlos Gonzalez, Charlie Blackmon
Outfield Tier 2:
Shin-Soo Choo, Hanley Ramirez, Billy Burns, Scott Van Slyke, Denard Span, Mookie Betts, Michael Brantley, Mitch Moreland.
Mike’s Top Five Team Stacks
Angels – Trout, Pujols, Calhoum, Giavotella, Iannetta, Freese, Aybar
Rockies – Blackmon, Gonzalez, Tulowitzki, Arenado, Paulsen
Red Sox – Betts, Ortiz, Holt, Ramirez, Sandoval
Diamondbacks – Goldschmidt, Pollock, Tomas, Ahmed, Castillo
Rangers – DeShields, Hamilton, Moreland, Odor, Fielder
Be sure to use the our optimal lineups when they are posted later this afternoon.